Friday, January 26, 2007

It almost came to naught...

Robert McNaught discovered the comet C/2006 P1 on August 7 2006. The comet is commonly know as the McNaught Comet. I heard of it just a couple of weeks ago. It goes to show how up to date I am with current affairs.

Nevertheless, the last couple of evening I endeavoured to go out and experience this one in many life time comet. according to astronomers, this comet isn't coming around for another 100,000 years! On the 23rd , I tried to look out of our backyard but there was cloud cover. Emm.

On the 24th Jan, Pauline and I went up to Mt Dandenong to take a look but I arrived at the gate house of Mt Dandenong at 10.02pm. The gate closes at 10.00pm. Streuth! (always wanted to say this).

Last night, 25th Jan, we went to Williamstown over the western side of Melbourne. This would enable me to avoid the city lights of Melbourne. Our destination is also a lovers' haunt. I felt it would be intrusive with my huge Nikon D2Xs with the 200mm f2 lens plus a 1.7x teleconverter. Well, I suppose the love birds, if there were any would know that I am pointing at the sky.

When we arrived, there were a few cars but we decided to drive further to see if there was a clear area for me to park my tripod and camera gear. Yes, indeed there was. In the relatively large grassed area a couple of gentlemen were also star gazing. I was scanning for anything bright. I focused on a bright object bit it turned out to be Venus. Suddenly, one of the guys pointed to a faint area of light and there it was - The McNaught Comet. A couple commented that It was one of the best nights. This made me feel good.

Gazing at the universe made me started to sing "How great thou art" -

O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy Hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy power throughout the universe displayed.

Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art.
Then sings my soul, My Saviour God, to Thee,
How great Thou art, How great Thou art!

Well, it was an experience and I am over the McNaught that I see and capture this glorious comet.

We will go out tonight, at an earlier time, to see if I can improve on the shot I have taken.

To learn more of Mr McNaught's discovery, just visit:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_McNaught#History

Else everything will come to naught.

No comments: