Saturday, February 09, 2008

A letter…

In the wee small hours of one January morning, I felt really sad. I wasn't sure why I would feel that way. But I felt I was sinking in a mire. The time was 2am. My eyes were fixated on the computer screen. The email window was blank. I was thinking about everything in my life. How my plans for the future are now in turmoil.

As I gravitated lower and lower, a "you've got mail" alert herald a new email. I click and open this letter:

Dear Casey

Has God spoken promises to you that haven't come to pass? I want to let you know it is natural to struggle with that. You may ask, how and when will God's plans and promises come to pass in my life? Sometimes, you might even try to make those things come to fruition in your own way. Abraham was very familiar with this struggle...

Abraham had two sons, one from his slave wife and one from his free wife. The son of the slave wife was born in a human attempt to bring about the fulfillment of God's promise. But the son of the free wife was born as God's ownfulfillment of His promise... Sarah represents the heavenly Jerusalem. She is the free woman, and she is our mother... you are children of the promise... "Get rid of the slave and her son, for the son of the slave woman will not share the inheritance with the free woman's son." ...we are not children of the slave woman; we are children of the free woman.Gal 4:22-30

Attempting to fulfill something God has promised but hasn't yet released you into is not obedience, it is striving. Striving brings a weight, burden or heaviness that God hasn't positioned you to carry. Now is the time to stop striving. The true promises and plans of God won't be fulfilled in your strength. In His timing, God will produce something far beyond anything your strength or ability can create.

What are the areas of your life that God has specifically given to you? Those are the areas where there is grace, provision and blessing to labor in. You are in obedience when you cultivate those areas because it is good stewardship.

Are you willing to wait to see God's promises and plans come forth in His timing and His way? Settle this within yourself now and the Lord will renew your strength and you will enter into the true peace of God.

Those who wait on the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:31 NKJV

For His Kingdom,

John and Lisa Bevere

No comments: