Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Talk is really cheap

I received a call from Sarah with an invite to a chat on Skype. I thought here I go, the supreme typist that I am hammering away at the speed of a very slow conversation. Sarah would have typed three sentences ahead while I am still looking for the tilde. So I rushed up stairs and fired up Skype. There is no microphone installed on the G5. But I can hear Sarah speaking to establish a conversation. Suddenly it down on me that I could spare my fingers battering on the keys. While Sarah's "Hellooos" were filtering through the Darth Vader speakers, I Skype a message to her that I will boot up the Powerbook instead. Down the stairs, leaping over the 2 sedate pugs lying across my path, I pulled out the laptop and plugged in a set of free headphones from Sanity. (That's another story). In no time I was speaking into my Powerbook. The voice of Sarah through cyberspace was loud and clear. There was so much to talk about. So much to share. So much to reminisce. So on and so forth. After 30 minutes, the Powerbook was handed to Pauline to let her have a go at speaking into a laptop. Many minutes drifted by and the Powerbook was back with me again. More conversation was had. We ended talking for over 90 minutes. The last time I can recall talking for so long on the blower was when I was making a case to Pauline to marry me. I think that was only 45 minutes and it was a local call.
A quick calculation of the 90 minutes came up to be around A$200 plus had I used a landline.
If I had used the land line, our conversation would have been 9 minutes instead and I would have missed out on that long chat with Sarah. The next conversation I will be having with Sarah is at the airport at 3am. After all the plane doesn't leave until 6am. Reason for the 2am pick ups is because the cab has to pick up from 2 other location.
So as long as Skype is available in the backwaters of Xinjiang, China, talk will always be cheap.

No comments: